The bully inside my head

 Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is a mental health condition in which one experiences powerful intrusive thoughts that induce feelings of discomfort, anxiety, and urges to do something to get rid of the thoughts and sensations.


Me most days when shit hits the fan 🤔 Not my best look



Bad days never last 💚


My experience with OCD:


I struggled with OCD ever since I was a child. At that time I didn’t know what it was and I just kept thinking to myself that there must be something wrong with me. Like I didn't have enough issues 🙃🤣

I was washing my hands up to 60 times, scared that if I didn’t, I’d contaminate myself or someone else and make them sick. It sounds silly, but I worried that if I or someone else became sick because of my own hands they would die.

Other symptoms included taking an hour to get into bed, frantically checking plugs and light switches, worried that there would be an electrical fire in the night. Leaving the house would be a nightmare for the fear of the doors being unlocked and someone breaking in. At its worst, my OCD was a terrible, debilitating condition that reduced me to tears and even made me question my own life. I felt like I wasn’t living, merely existing, consumed by terrible thoughts and tiresome rituals.

Washing the toilet each time I've used it, a minimum of 10 bottles of bleach a day...the list is long.

The common misconceptions of OCD


3 MOST common misconceptions about OCD are:

  • People who experience OCD are super neat and tidy
  • People who experience OCD are perfectionists

How OCD can be treated?


There are several ways in which OCD can be treated. However, the most popular and effective form of treatment is mindfulness for me it has worked,

 in my opinion,  Exposure and Response to Prevention therapy CBT has worked for others but not for me.

Tips on how to deal with OCD


  • Delay the need to do a compulsion or I should say try

Conclusion


What I’ve realized over the years is that OCD will always be a part of you/me, it will not go away. There will be periods whereby you don’t experience OCD at all and there may be times where it will come back again.

With all of this in mind, we need to start recognising OCD for the life-destroying illness it is. We need to educate ourselves, and others, too.

Not just to battle the old-fashioned misconceptions surrounding a very misunderstood condition, but to allow those suffering to feel like just that – sufferers – and not as though their illness is some form of an ongoing joke between people who just don’t get it.

We need to do better. We can do better. And understanding OCD for what it is – and what it’s most definitely not – can only take us a step forward in reducing the stigma surrounding mental illness that we sadly still face today.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You are not the problem

You got this bud

Caught between two worlds