You hear me

 Hola mi gente, I hope you have all been enjoying the great weather ☀️


 I've had an odd month, too many things to juggle, one being my appointment with ENT tomorrow. I must say one is feeling a little anxious as to what the outcome might be.


 What is it like to be deaf or hoh?


 Especially to be someone whose lips reads, so a lot of people don’t even know you’re deaf? 

 For fun, I love pottery, reading when I can, sports, fitness, travelling and a lot more πŸ˜‰  

Yes, deaf and hoh people have hobbies... We drive and yes have sex too.

Growing up I taught myself how to read lips rather than use sign language.


Why? 


Back then accessibility wasn't as good let's put it this way. 

I’m eternally grateful that I had no choices for myself so early because It has shaped me into who I am now. The way I interact with the world, and, for me, it has made being deaf nearly a non-issue. 

Often, friends and family forget that I am deaf because we interact so seamlessly. I’m sure there are many things that hearing people assume deaf people can’t do. 

What are some things that deaf people can do that might surprise us?

 Talk 😱 doctors told my mum that I will never be able to talk, but here I am! For those who know me...I do not stop talking 🀣 I’ve won speech and academic competitions, I drive, I love music, I've achieved enough to be proud. 

A lot of people assumed that being deaf or hoh is a curse. Has being deaf ever affected my career? Yes, I think it has, but you could argue that it has driven me to succeed in some ways. I can’t stand being told that I can’t accomplish something, so I took every opportunity I had to blow that sentiment out of the water. 

Do I take part in Deaf culture? I don’t, unfortunately, I have friends who are actively involved in Deaf culture, but I feel like I became separate from it the moment my mum made me part of the hearing world growing up. I understand and support the need for Deaf culture because it’s true that resources for many deaf people are lacking, and having people who understand what you need can be invaluable. It just hasn’t been something that I was exposed to, so it was never a part of my life.

 How do I feel about cochlear implants? I think they’re amazing, just not for me. Look up some YouTube videos of people getting theirs turned on for the first time–some of them are beyond inspiring. I don’t have one, and I wouldn't want one. Why? I have accepted my deafness and I don't believe that having one would make a  difference in my life. I’m still holding out on some stem cell research–I was just talking with my doctor about this, and it will be fascinating to see where we’ll be in the next decade.

 Do my friends ever ask me to lip read across a crowded room? ALL the time! It's all about the gossiping jajajajaja.

 What advice would I give to someone who is dating or friends with a deaf person? Well, Be very aware of the ‘good ear, and try to be considerate of where you sit relative to that ear. My right ear is my so-called good ear, oh, it helps when people sit and walk to my right. I’ll often remind people, but it helps when people just remember. You don’t always have to talk louder, but make sure you’re talking directly to him or her so your lips can be read. That’s generally a good life practice anyway! Above all, just ask what the deaf person needs. Most people will appreciate that.

I can now sign and slowly integrating myself into the deaf community because all my life I have felt lost for more reasons than one!

Not belonging or not being accepted can have a massive impact on one's life. 

For everyone out there that has suffered segregation or not been given a choice, it's never too late. 


Lots of love πŸ’š

Remember you are not alone πŸ’œ 

AK 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You are not the problem

You got this bud

Caught between two worlds